Sunday 16 September 2012

Motion Project

Below are some of the images that I have taken to represent motion. I chose four photos, one using a fast shutter speed, two using a slow shutter speed and a fourth image using an experimental shutter speed. For my slow shutter speed images, I chose to take them at night, here are the two images I chose to represent a slow shutter speed.


For this image I used a tripod, I set my cameras ISO to 200. I put the shutter speed to about 8 seconds and the aperture to around F8.  I took this picture at around 10 o'clock which meant that there was not too much blue left in the sky, which meant a really strong contrast between the street and the sky. I used a passing car to create the beam of light in this image, to do this I started the exposure before the car came into shot, but timed it right so as the car had just gone out of shot the shutter closed. The light is quite thick and bright, this is because the car went quite slowly enabling a strong light trail to be left. I am very pleased with the outcome of this image as it does not seem to busy and overcomplicated which can become an issue when capturing light trails or drawing with light.

This image below is of a block of flats, for this image I also used a tripod to capture the image. However instead of using a shutter speed of around 8 seconds, I increased the shutter speed to around 15 seconds, I then increased the aperture to compensate for the longer shutter speed.


The results of using longer shutter speeds results in a much softer, more detailed and more colourful. I chose this image because I really like the colours that are apparent that you would not be able to see in real life. Furthermore I really like the structural element of this image which helps lead the viewers eye to the blurred movement of the clouds.

This image below is the image I chose to represent a fast shutter speed. For this image I used the camera on shutter priority and used a shutter speed of around 1/500 of a second, with the ISO set to 400.


The results of this means I managed to capture a wave in motion, by using a faster shutter speed you can also gain a lot of detail in an image. I am happy with this image because it is extremely simple but quite dramatic. However I believe that if the wave was bigger or I could have got closer to the wave the image could have been a lot stronger.

This Final image also represents a slow shutter speed, however this time the shutter speed used was considerably longer. For this image I used a shutter speed of around 30 seconds, an ISO of 200 and the aperture was set to F4.


To take this image I did not use a tripod, instead I rested my camera on a table, facing upwards towards the sky. I took this picture at around midnight, meaning the only light source was from street lights. Thus the reason for the orange glow in this picture. Furthermore I am very happy with this image as I managed to capture the movement of the clouds, which blurred due to the long shutter speed, whilst also capturing the stars, not in great detail but enough to add another dimension to the image. I did not have any preconceptions of this image, I was simply experimenting with extremely long shutter speeds. This image however is around the third attempt at capturing this shot as the clouds sometimes covered the entire backdrop of sky.

In evaluation, overall, I am pleased with the outcome of this project. However I wish to extend my experience with faster speeds and look for more interesting things or places to photograph, Furthermore I would also like to experiment further with slower shutter speeds on both film and digital cameras.

No comments:

Post a Comment