Sunday 9 September 2012

Induction Project: Self Portraiture

For this project I had two possible final outcomes for my self portrait. For the First I decided to use a tripod to capture myself in the reflection behind the tripod itself. By using the tripod, I managed to capture the blurred movement of me whilst the surroundings and the tripod are perfectly still. I also used a polarizing filter, this basically tints the image making it darker, much like sunglasses. I could therefore use slower shutter speeds but still gain a properly exposed image. By using a slower shutter speed everything that is still in the image has a soft glossy look. In this image I decided to keep the colour but slightly de saturate it, this adds to the atmosphere and gives the image an aged ghostly looks, it also makes the simple contrasts of tone stand out more.


This image is my second possible outcome, I really like this image because its a bit different and I'm really happy with how I managed to focus on my reflection and still capture the movement of the environment outside, through a car window. For this image I also used a relatively slow shutter speed to ensure the view outside of the mirror was blurred. Furthermore I also used quite a short depth of field which helps the you focus on the centre of the image. I also edited this image, firstly I simply edited the levels on Photoshop to bring out some contrasts. I then changed the curves on both the red and the green channels but not the blue.


Induction Project:Likes

Firstly here are my images for things I like, I chose this image on a pair of sunglasses to represent summer. I like this image because of the really short depth of field, also the detailed which is achieved by using this short depth of field. Furthermore I liked the different contrasts which are present due to the sky, the glasses and the tinted lenses.


Firstly here are my images for things I like. This second Image is of a glass of water, I chose this because I really like drinking water. I am extremely happy with this image because of the interesting textures that have been captured in the movement of the water, secondly I also like the deep colours and contrasts I achieved without editing more than the levels slightly.


This image (below) represents my love of music. Firstly with this image, I used a tripod so I could capture the movement of the record by using a slow shutter speed. Furthermore I also edited this image more extensively than the others in this section. I did this by editing both the curves and levels to suitable levels. I then added some noise, this basically ages the photo by giving the image a grainy finish much like you would get with using film. I finally slightly de-saturated the image to help achieve the aged look.


This third image is of a pot of paint brushes, I used this image to represent drawing, painting or Art. I chose this image because of the really interesting light that is cast over the brushes. This light was achieved by using a simple table lamp, this lamp had a frosted glass around the outside of the bulb which deadened the light slightly, meaning the lighting was not too strong or too harsh. Another point is I like the strong detail of the brushes compared to the blurred ones in the background which are more like abstract shapes which keep the image interesting.



This final image for my likes represents playing an instrument, in my case I play guitar. I chose this image once because of the intriguing perspective, I also like how the linear quality of the strings reflect the shape of .the body, whilst also contrasting with the horizontal positioning of the frets. Finally I once chose this image because of the detail that using a short depth of field achieves.


Induction Project: Dislikes

This section contains images of things that I dislike, however I could only think of a few things that I dislike, here they are. Firstly I chose this image below to represent reading. I chose this image because I really like the short depth of field, this emphasises the detail of the lettering in the centre of the image but not towards the edges. I also really like the interesting way the pages curve out and add an extra dimension to the perspective of the writing. This image was also barely touched in terms of editing, just a simple adjust of the levels to bring out the contrasts.


This second image is of a clock, I chose this image to represent how I hate waiting around. I chose this image firstly because of the aged quality of the clock, I also like the different textures that are apparent in the image, the reflections on the clock face, the small cushion on top, the body of the clock and the framed mirror behind. These all add up to create an interesting image, which I believe reflects time.


This final image is of my draining board, I chose this image to represent my dislike for washing up. Firstly I like this image because of the interesting textures of the bubbles and how they sit on other objects. The glasses also have a really interesting texture, due to the lighting. However the lighting in this image is a bit too harsh. To edit this image I edited both the curves and levels to quite an extent. I then added a filter which mimics the lighting you can achieve in a studio environment.


In evaluation of these images, I believe that the dislikes could have been photographed in a much more interesting way, as at the moment they lack a strong sense of depth. However I am quite happy with the likes section, however some of the things I chose to use as something I liked could have been represented better by photographing more relevant things or places.

No comments:

Post a Comment